10.9.19

Healing and Unifying Nigeria to Be the Ultimate


I know something now that convinces me that the actors of the 1966 coup in Nigeria were principally from my tribe, the Igbos. I am weighed-down heavy with remorse. I also feel very sorry to my Northern fathers and brothers.

Some hot-headed young forbearers of my tribe in the Nigerian Army, for whatever their perceived reason, initiated the coup but, possibly as a result of their inexperience in leadership cum politics did not give a thought to the interpretation that would be given to their composition. Those who reneged in executing their assigned part of the coup against people from their region compounded the way it all appeared! Please, let the people of Nigeria know once and for all time that it was NOT an Igbo agenda.
Now I know why my Northern compatriots seemed pissed at the Igbos in the Civil War that ensued. It all makes sense now. I am glad that I have not been wrong about the North with this. The Northern people to me, as I was growing up, were the most reliable of the Nigerian people. They had a volatile temper, but in the main were easiest to get along with if you yourself are a reasonable person. 

When I was a kid, I remember that in 1973 or 1974 my stepfather who operated haulage van at Iddo, Lagos, after his stint with the U A C, came home from work one night bringing an Hausa man with him. He passed the night with us in our one-room rented home at #6, Adegbola Street, Off Anjorin, Lawanson, Surulere.  He ate our food and slept with us. In that one night my inquisitive mind did not let go the opportunity to ask the young traveller to teach me a few Hausa lingo, the only Hausa I know today ‘ daya, biu, uku, hudu, biar, shida, bokwei, takwas, tara, gwoma; gwoma-shia-daya and so on to 20 as well as ‘kadang, kadang’. He was a complete stranger whom my father brought home from the park to share his home and family with, offering hospitality as we did in Africa back then. He continued on his journey with my father the following morning as he went to work and I never saw or heard from him again. I was a kid about 12 and the Post Office was all we had going for us back then for reaching out. Yet, if our paths have crossed however remotely in the years that have gone since that night only God can say.

Can we all sheathe our weapons, let down our guard and begin to trust again in Nigeria. We have a serious job to do healing and rebuilding Nigeria to her true stature at least for us, who are from here, forget the outsiders for the moment. Who is with me? Let us begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

< b >

sogr

Download The Science of Getting Rich FREE